Wednesday 25 May 2016

Atmospheric Sydney: Shooting with Just One Lens

On our recent How to WOW! Class field trip to Sydney Harbour  decided to bring along a camera - I normally do this but rarely have the time to actually shoot anything because I'm looking after the students. I made a conscious decision to not bring the sort of lens I normally bring: the Canon EF24-105mm f4 zoom. Instead I decided to bring lenses that I rarely use: the EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6 USM zoom telephoto and the 14mm f2.8 fisheye.
After seven hours shooting, I only used the 100-400m lens. Nothing else.
Sometimes restricting yourself to one lens is a good idea because it forces you to think a bit harder about composition and framing rather than just swapping lenses to get the shot...


Five frame HDR processed using Aurora Pro HDR software.
It's a very tricky exposure shooting into the sun on a heavily smoggy Sunday. Quite by accident the process produced a black and white surround and a mostly colourful central subject.
Comms arials on top of the Onslow, Maritime Museum, Darling Harbour
Smoke-filled space between the HMAS Vampire and HMAS Onslow
400mm shot, lined up along the lines of Wharf 10
Looking down-harbour from Darling Harbour to Goat Island ans Waverton in the far distance

Reflections
Marina in Darling Harbour
Waratah steam tug returning after a day on the harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment