Tuesday 29 December 2020

DIY Magnetic Knife Block

 I know it's not photography, but I recently went ahead with a DIY project to make a magnetic knife block. It was inspired by the purchase of two Japanese kitchen knives (from the Chef's Armoury in Stanmore) - not wanting to 'taint' the blades by inserting them in to our old knife block, I thought a magnetic version would be the go.

Actually making the block from a slab of Oregon timber was not the hardest part - working out how many magnets were required - and what type and size to use was tricky - I found a website that outlined the type of magnet (rare earth - neodymium are the strongest) was needed and bought 20, 12 x 6.5mm magnets (from www.amfmagnets.com.au in Rozelle). Even though these are not much bigger than a hearing aid battery, they were incredibly strong - I broke two while testing them out on the thickness of the timber. They obviously snap onto anything metal and two of them cracked and split when they smashed into each other. It was then I read the safety instructions which recommended wearing gloves. Good advice. Here's how it went:

No comments:

Post a Comment