Friday 17 July 2020

Review: Ulanzi ST-03 Smartphone Support

Recently I've been making a few [casual] videos about my woodworking efforts in a small workshop I have at home. It's a good COVID-19 activity because I can lock myself away from the world while I do it, and then just post the result on YouTube.

To create these hobby videos I decided to not bother using my Canon DSLR, so took the easy route using my iPhone. It actually works surprisingly well, producing quite acceptable video footage - providing I have all the lights on and the garage door open!

What doesn't work so well is its stability - I've seen too many amateur YouTube DIY videos where the film maker hand-holds the phone while demonstrating something. It's very difficult to look at!

I have three tripods - all use the popular Arca Swiss QR (quick release) plate - no good for a smartphone - which means I had to use masking tape to attach the iPhone to the tripod head. Masking tape is great, but it's not a safe way to secure a camera, or an iPhone


To start, I used masking tape to fix the iPhone onto the tripod head - most of the cheap $20 attachments available for the iPhone are designed either only for desk mounted supports, or for screwing into a standard 1/4 inch tripod socket.


I searched a bit deeper online and discovered the Ulanzi ST-03, an aluminium smartphone support complete with tripod screw, Arca Swiss bracket, and a 'hidden' hot shoe. I had no idea what the latter feature was, but ordered it immediately because it was one of the only gadgets that was compatible with my Arca Swiss tripod head.

So, does the Ulanzi work? Absolutely. It's the best $34 gadget I've bought in a very long time. The collapsed unit is tiny, beautifully designed, solidly-built and easy to use. The Arca Swiss bracket works perfectly, the threaded knob at the top of the unit is used to clamp and tighten the fold-out arms over whatever smartphone you have. It couldn't be easier to use  


The hidden hot shoe, as described in its promotional material, is nothing more than a slight metal lip protruding inwards along the top arms - into which you can slide a hot shoe-capable microphone or wireless gadget. Just like a regular hot shoe. As with all objects that exhibit good design, less is more, and this gadget has style, value and design in buckets.







5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years I suffered from intense back pain which sometimes could not move. I practiced judo for more than 15 years of my life and at the end, back pain took me to all kinds of physical activity. A year ago my pains disappeared after using Doctor James herbal mix medicine thanks to his-natural treatment I found on the internet which anyone can contact him on his Email@drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com. At least his treatment cured me completely. Hopefully it will be helpful for you as it happened with me. Dr. James herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same Backache or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,
    Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / LOTTERY.CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com/ +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post...


    I'm having very interesting information regarding Photography Courses in Delhi!

    ReplyDelete